Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Getting a desktop computer after a lifetime of laptops, what should I get?

I have the tendency to go for computers that are way too powerful for my needs. I've been checking out alienware and mac's for a little while now and when I go to set my specifications, I usually go for the most powerful (i.e. expensive) option. The end result is some monster powerhouse that is way too expensive for me, even when making payments. I don't know why but I can't drop this habit, I just have this mindset that stock computers are terrible. But then again, I'm running some programs that most laptops can just barely handle, and I usually like to surf the internet while these programs are running (Flash CS4 and Photoshop CS at the moment). That being said when I buy laptops, since I rarely have the option to upgrade them, they're cheap. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten a desktop by now already, I use my laptops like desktops.The laptop I'm using now, my Hp ZD8000, has the lid closed and hooked up to a mouse, keyboard and 17" monitor. But based on these things here that I do on my computer, what computer should I get:



Adobe Flash CS4 but will upgrade to CS5 once I get Windows 7 or Mac OS X

Adobe Photoshop CS

First Person Shooter Creator

Blender 3D

Dark BASIC Pro

Internet Surfing and HD video streaming

Gaming







Gaming is my least concern but I'm tired of saying, "Hey! my computer can run deus ex 1... on FULL SETTING!" At least Deus Ex is awesome. But, I'd like to be able to have 3 or 4 games on my computer minimum, preferably more but Flash and other programs come first.



I can spend $2,500 to maybe $3000. What would be the most efficient and cost effective option for me.



ThanksGetting a desktop computer after a lifetime of laptops, what should I get?
As a Computer Science Major "second year" and working as a graphic artist that has worked in multiple graphic design studies. DO NOT GET A MAC. They are expensive and offer crap for performance. All the studios I work in don't even use mac, so don't get swayed into the logic that you need a mac for graphic design. I have a 1200 dollar PC and 2000 dollar iMac and my god was that a bad decision. I custom built my PC for 1200 and have 12 gigs of ddr3 ram, i7 quad processor, and 5 series nvidia graphics card. The imac came with a dual core and 1 gig of ram LOL.

Real professionals use PC's for graphic design.

I have about every program you have besides 1 or 2, and run's great on my pc.

I would recommend building one yourself, alienware is expensive and is more than what you want. I custom built pc's for about 20 graphic designers, and they all love them. Not to mention we can easily play any game we wanted on them. MAC is incompatible with many programs. If you don't know how to build one yourself, ask a friend or local computer shop. Heck even I can give you specs.

And if you really wanted the mac OS you can just run it on a virtual machine, complete with cheaper better hardware of a PC.
yeah build a custom pc

just a few things i recommend
core i7
GTX 580 graphics card
like 8GB DDR3

can build a pretty beast PC for under $2000
tigerdirect.caGetting a desktop computer after a lifetime of laptops, what should I get?
what ever you do! do NOT buy alienware! build it yourself! http://www.newegg.com/ is great for hardware!

and i recommend an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
and for your gpu a radeon hd 5870
I purchased my iMac about 3 years ago, moving from PC usage after about 15 years, and specifically for a focus of photography and photo-restoration....best decision I made!



Have you looked at iMacs?Getting a desktop computer after a lifetime of laptops, what should I get?
a Core i7 with a decent videocard will suit your needs. RAM is the most important factor for multitasking.



even the slowest Core i7 will be way more than what youll need. but the Core i5 MIGHT not be enough oomph.



youll definately want 6GB or 8GB of RAM. any less youll have some problems. any more will be redundant. 6-8 is a good amount for your usage scenarios.



with Windows 7 youll get better multitasking on a deeper level than with Vista or XP. also, the newest photoshop is much more optimized for the new multicore CPUs.





I would say you can get a VERY powerful desktop for less than 2500. so it shouldnt be too hard not to spoil yourself a bit.
Here you go, It has all the power you need to do what you like and its upgradable if you ever need more power. ITs called an iMac, best computer in the world says Consumer reports. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%231鈥?/a>

Its not complete overkill on power but it will still allow you to play all the newest games without trouble. Its alot like a Macbook Pro but with a desktop form and a better processor, It runs Mac OS X. I think you will like it, I have the last generation of this and I can do everything I need and it still can be upgraded if it ever needs it, so far I havent needed it but it does make it future-proof. Hard to beat only 2 inches thick.


Dont buy from Newegg or Alienware, they rip you off and their products arent really compatible with themselves, thats more of a user thing but thats what happens when you let the user pick all the wrong components and you get a computer that wont turn on.

No comments:

Post a Comment